A Brief History of the City of Maryville Electric Department
-In 1890, according to available records, Maryville Woolen Mills placed into operation the first electric plant; at that time there were only two such plants in operation in Knoxville and these were used by private manufacturers. It is believed that the plant in Maryville was used only by the woolen mill.
-In 1892, Thomas F. Cooper, Joe Burger, Thomas P. Cowan, James A. Summers and William A. McTeer recorded a charter of incorporation and were granted the right through the county court to erect lines in Maryville and vicinity. This company was known as the Maryville Electric Light & Power Company and obtained its power from the City Flour Mill, then located near what has become the northwest corner of Broadway and Everett Streets, having both hydro and steam power.
-In 1894, we find the electric plant located on the corner of McGhee and Cates Streets and owned by Thomas P. Cowan and Charles M. French, each owning one half interest in the operation.
-In 1896, Sam A. Walker bought one half interest of Thomas P. Cowan, and in 1898, Jesse Groner bought one half interest of Charles M. French. The company at this time was comprised of Thomas P. Cowan, Charles M. French, Sam A. Walker and Jesse Groner, owning one-fourth interest each.
-In 1899, the electric properties came into the hands of the Rockord Mill Company and the Bank of Maryville to satisfy a debt. In the same year, the Rockford Mill Company and the Bank of Maryville conveyed all properties to the McElwee Company for a consideration of $25,000 in stock and $25,000 in bonds secured by first mortgage and due in 20 years.
-In 1901, the McElwee Company sold to the Bank of Maryville for a consideration of $200 cash and a further consideration of the remaining outstanding bonded indebtedness.
-During 1904-1905, the Bank of Maryville, et ux, sold to the Rockford Electric Company for a consideration of $25,000 at which time the plant was moved to Rockford, Tennessee. The Rockford Electric Company was granted a charter in 1904. The company consisted of Joe Burger, James A. Goddard, Joe Walker, Sam H. Walker, Thomas F. Cooper, Ben Cunningham, John Huffstetler, J.C. Groner and Will A. McTeer.
-In 1916, the Rockford Electric Company sold its properties to Maryville Lighting Company for an unknown consideration.
-In 1924, the Maryville Lighting Company sold to the Tennessee Electric Power Company for a consideration of approximately $620,000.
-In 1939, the Tennessee Electric Power Company sold to the City of Maryville for a consideration of $392,875.45. The City of Maryville financed the purchase of the property by issuing 20 year Electric System Revenue Bonds, Series A, in the amount of $425,000. The bonds and interest thereon are payable solely from the revenues of the Electric System.